Living in Norway usually involves a fair amount of air travel. You often must get back to your home country or to travel within Norway itself. This isn’t exactly an easy country to drive around with all the fjords and mountains.
So, when you’re coming in and out of Oslo Airport, you’ll want to take the Flytoget train. Look for the orange and gray signs and the slick futuristic train itself. It leaves every 20 minutes or so and gets you into downtown Oslo super quick. Download the official Flytoget app and you can get on and off even faster.
At smaller airports around Norway, there might not be an airport train but instead an airport bus is known as the flybussen.
When it comes to international travel, seamless connections from the airport to the city center are essential. Norway’s Flytoget, or Airport Express Train, serves as the epitome of efficient transportation, providing travelers with a fast and convenient link between Oslo Airport Gardermoen (OSL) and Oslo’s city center. In this article, we will explore the key features of Flytoget and its contribution to making travel in Norway more convenient.
A Quick Journey to Oslo
Flytoget is renowned for its exceptional speed and reliability. It provides one of the fastest airport-to-city-center connections in the world. The journey from Oslo Airport Gardermoen to Oslo’s central station, Oslo S, takes just 19 minutes. This is particularly impressive considering that the airport is located 47 kilometers north of the city center.
Features of Flytoget
- Speed and Punctuality: Flytoget is a high-speed train that can reach up to 210 kilometers per hour. Its commitment to punctuality ensures that passengers can rely on timely departures and arrivals.
- Frequency: The trains run frequently, with departures every 10-20 minutes during most of the day. This means travelers can catch a train shortly after arriving at the airport, reducing wait times significantly.
- Comfortable Travel: Passengers aboard Flytoget can enjoy a comfortable and modern train experience. The trains are well-maintained and equipped with features such as Wi-Fi, power outlets, and luggage storage.
- Sustainability: Flytoget is known for its commitment to environmental sustainability. The trains are powered by electricity from renewable sources, making it an eco-friendly mode of transport.
- Dedicated Service: Flytoget’s sole purpose is to connect the airport and the city center, which means passengers can enjoy a direct and uninterrupted journey without intermediate stops.
- Accessibility: Flytoget is accessible for passengers with reduced mobility, offering designated areas for wheelchairs, ample space for strollers, and well-marked spaces for visually impaired passengers.
- Frequent Traveler Programs: Flytoget offers various discount programs and loyalty schemes, making it a cost-effective choice for frequent travelers.
Connecting Norway to the World
Flytoget not only connects the capital city, Oslo, with its international airport but also serves as an essential link for passengers traveling to other destinations in Norway. The train connects with the Norwegian Railway network, enabling easy transfers to cities and towns across the country.
Reducing Congestion and Emissions
By providing a fast and reliable means of transportation between the airport and the city, Flytoget plays a crucial role in reducing traffic congestion and carbon emissions. Travelers are more likely to opt for the environmentally friendly train over taxis or personal vehicles, leading to fewer vehicles on the road.
Flytoget, Norway’s Airport Express Train, is a testament to the country’s commitment to efficient, sustainable, and convenient transportation solutions. Its remarkable speed, punctuality, and dedication to passenger comfort have made it a vital part of Norway’s travel infrastructure, ensuring that visitors and residents alike enjoy a swift and pleasant journey between Oslo Airport Gardermoen and the heart of the capital, Oslo. For anyone traveling to or within Norway, Flytoget is a shining example of how public transportation can be both practical and enjoyable.
Here is how you can get from point A to point B in Norway using several different modes of transportation.
Want to learn more about
Living and Working with Norwegians?
Get the books!
Living with Norwegians is the guide for moving to and surviving Norway.